Besides a nice collection of fundraising come-ons from around the world, we also received an e-mail from a tipster who tells us that he was a member of org staff. Not Sea Org, but staff, the folks who work at your local Scientology church.
Although Scientology staff aren’t required to sign billion-year contracts like Sea Org workers, they do make serious commitments and usually work long hours for modest pay.
And now, there’s a new pair of contracts to sign, our tipster tells us.
If you look around online, you can find past staff contracts. But we think this is the first leak online of a new set of documents that org staff are required to sign. Says our tipster…
The two staff contracts were released along with GAT II. First up is the new Staff Contract (not Sea Org). It’s quite different than the one they were using when I left. A whole lot of “I understand Scientology is the only road out for mankind” and “I promise to be a good little boy.” Some really interesting little bits here and there. I have included a high quality scan of this one.
But our tipsters says the real whammy is the second document.
It’s a dense and verbose contract that says you will never speak ill of Scientology or L. Ron Hubbard or the RTC or anybody. And if you do, you owe Scientology $25,000 for each instance of doing so. And this contract never expires, even if you leave staff in good standing. I only have low-quality images for this one but you can still read the insanity pretty clearly.
In my local org they started passing these out to the staff in December. I know there are two guys there who refused to sign them and are now getting security checks (“confessionals”) to find their crimes against Scientology.
To me, these show how paranoid David Miscavige has become about whistleblowers. The new staff contract by itself isn’t much, just your standard “Promise to dedicate your life to us” message. But this Non-Disclosure Covenant is pretty scary shit.
After looking at both, we have to agree. First up, the staff contract…
PLEDGE OF RELIGIOUS COMMITMENT AND APPLICATION FOR
VOLUNTEER SERVICE TO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY
I, __________ (print name), am applying to serve as a member of the staff of the Church of Scientology of __________ (hereinafter “the Church”).
PLEDGE OF RELIGIOUS COMMITMENT
1. I am a Scientologist and want to dedicate the next five years __ two and one-half years __ (check one), to the service of the Scientology religion and to accomplishing its religious goals. I also have pledged myself to the highest levels of ethical conduct as set forth in The Creed of the Church of Scientology and The Code of a Scientologist, each of which I have read and understand.
2. I believe that the sacred goal of all Scientologists is to help each being regain his or her full spiritual potential. The path to this greater spiritual awareness was discovered by L. Ron Hubbard, the Founder of the Scientology religion, and is set forth in his written and recorded words that comprise the Scientology Scripture. I also believe that these advanced spiritual states can be attained only through the practice of Scientology religious service.
3. I understand that the Church, like all Scientology churches, operates for the sole purpose of assisting individuals to attain their true spiritual potential through the practice of the Scientology religion.
4. I believe that serving on the Church’s staff would be the greatest thing I could do to forward my personal sacred goal, the betterment of Mankind, and for this reason I now declare the deepest personal, spiritual commitment to Scientology as my religion and to accomplishing its religious purposes, by pledging the next few years in dedicated religious service to the Church.
PLEDGE OF RELIGIOUS SERVICE
I unconditionally apply for active service in the Church’s religious program as a member of its staff on the following terms and conditions:
1. ACTIVE PARTICIPATION. I recognize and know to be true that the Church, like all other Churches of Scientology, is a spiritual center for its parishioners and the focal point of their religion in their community. The Church provides introductory lectures, workshops, seminars and other Scientology religious services to people new to the religion, and spiritual counseling and training in the Scientology Scripture to existing parishioners. The Church also provides other religious services for its parishioners such as marriages, funerals, naming ceremonies, ordinations of ministers and weekly Sunday Services. The Church also works to make Dianetics and Scientology broadly known in its community and disseminates not only the Scientology faith but also the many social betterment programs the Church supports. The Church provides a safe and stable place for all the Scientology activities in its area for assisting its parishioners to move up the Bridge to Total Freedom.
I understand that all Church staff are expected to make a total commitment to their religious service and must be on post and performing their religious responsibilities every weekday for staff serving on the Church’s Day Organization, or every evening and all weekend for staff serving on the Church’s Foundation Organization. I understand that I will be posted in the Church where I am most needed and that while my position may vary over time, my primary duties will be contributing to the delivery and dissemination of Scientology services and the overall accomplishment of the Church’s religious mission.
2. CONDUCT. I understand that all members of the Church’s staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of personal ethical conduct at all times. I further understand that every Church staff member is expected to be totally familiar with and constantly observe the ecclesiastical, moral and ethical policies, rules, norms and practices of the Scientology religion and the administrative policies and procedures of the Church. These are all published in the form of Hubbard Communications Office policy letters and bulletins and various directives that are issued by Church of Scientology International, the Mother Church of the Scientology religion. I fully and gladly accept this strictest standard of ethical conduct.
3. POST. I know that all Scientology churches’ activities are intended to further a religious purpose. As a member of the Church, I am aware that each post or position within the Church is, without exception, in furtherance of a religious purpose. Accordingly, depending upon the needs and requirements of the Church, I know that I may be assigned or re-assigned to a wide range of ministerial duties ranging from managing portions of the Church’s functions and activities, executing religious programs and administering these activities, introducing public and neighbors to the Church’s services and programs, or providing religious services such as auditing, training, ethics counseling and cramming, to holding reception, routing communications and maintaining files, cooking food for parishioners and staff in the canteen, washing dishes or maintaining and cleaning the facilities. I know these posts, and all others within, are designed to fulfill and forward the Church’s religious purpose and mission.
I also know that as part of my post responsibilities and pursuant to Church policy, I am expected to study a minimum of 12.5 hours a week to better carry out my religious duties and to advance myself up the Bridge to Total Freedom—both in religious training and auditing, to the benefit of all Dynamics.
4. FINANCIAL SUPPORT. My desire, and my intention, is to serve my religion as a Church staff member pursuant to my personal religious commitment and conviction rather than for monetary gain or other financial benefits or incentives. I recognize and acknowledge that the Church is not required to pay minimum wage or overtime to me. I further understand that the Church does not provide a pension or other such benefits.
5. RESOLUTION OF PROBLEMS. Since my relationship with the Church and my fellow staff members is strictly religious and based solely on my deeply-held spiritual commitment to the Scientology religion, I believe that any problem that may arise out of this relationship is also strictly religious in nature. Therefore, I agree that any problem between me and the Church of Scientology (whether the Church or any other Scientology church or related organization) or any fellow staff member that may arise during or related to my service on staff, is to be handled in accordance with the doctrines of the Scientology religion, I understand that the first step in this procedure is to summarize the problem in writing and submit it to the Hubbard Communications Office, Department of Inspections and Reports, and I agree to follow this process.
I have read this Pledge of Religious Commitment and Application for Religious Service very carefully and have had every opportunity to get anything in this document that I may not have understood clarified. I can say without hesitation that I fully understand the terms and conditions on which my religious service will be based if my application is accepted. With this in mind, and with full knowledge of what I am doing, I ask to be accepted as an active participant on the Church’s staff and a member of its religious community. I make this pledge and application of my own free will, solely to help forward the religious goals and tenets of the Scientology religion and the Church itself. By signing this application I am making a formal religious vow to participate in the Church’s religious program on the basis of the specific terms and conditions stated above and no others.
Dated this _____ day of __________, 20__.
(SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT)
(Printed Full Name)
(SIGNATURE OF WITNESS)
(Printed Full Name)
(SIGNATURE OF PARENT OR GUARDIAN IF A MINOR)
(Printed Full Name)
Church of Scientology _________, in reliance on the truthfulness and sincerity of your representations, and the legally and ecclesiastically binding nature of your promises, agrees to accept you as an active Church staff member and as a member of its religious community.
CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY __________
By its: ______________________________
Next up is the non-disparagement agreement…
CHURCH of SCIENTOLOGY OF __________
Religious Covenant of Non-Disparagement
I, _________ (print name), have been offered a post on the staff of Church of Scientology of __________ (the “Church”). As a member of the Scientology religious community represented by the Church, I am committed to forwarding the religious goals and tenets of the Scientology religion and the Church itself. I made this religious commitment in order to help every being I can attain his or her full spiritual potential, the path to which was discovered by L. Ron Hubbard as set forth in the Scientology Scripture.
1. To be a staff member of the Church is an incomparable opportunity to serve my religion and carries with it the most serious and sacred obligations. The Church is the focal point of the Scientology religion and all Scientology activities in its community and the stable emanation point fort the spiritual growth for all Scientologists living in the area.
2. I recognize that with this opportunity to serve the Scientology religion as a member of the Church’s staff comes an equally important responsibility to do all I can to ensure that the Church remains effective and accomplishes its religious mission. I understand that this is the most solemn of all the responsibilities that I will shoulder while on staff and is one responsibility I must continue to observe even if I leave the Church’s service. Scientology parishioners, Field Auditors, Field Ministries, City Offices and Missions in the surrounding community look to the Church to disseminate the Scientology religion in their area, hold counseling standards high and to further their quest for spiritual freedom. The inviolate strength and integrity of the Church and its staff therefore are critical to the spiritual life of Scientologists in the area. If the credibility or effectiveness of the Church or its senior staff, or executives of higher ecclesiastical Churches such as Religious Technology Center (“RTC”) and Church of Scientology International (“CSI”) is diminished or harmed in any way, Scientologists throughout the area will suffer incalculable spiritual harm.
3. I therefore agree that in exchange for the opportunity to serve on the Church’s staff and to receive the benefits available to all staff members, including the right to receive Scientology religious auditing and training to forward my own spiritual growth, I swear to forever use the full extent of my ability to uphold my obligations under this Religious Covenant of Non-Disparagement (“Non-Disparagement Covenant”). I will never do less. Accordingly, I PROMISE AND SWEAR NEVER TO SAY OR ENCOURAGE OR INDUCE OTHERS TO SAY OR WRITE ANYTHING NEGATIVE OR DISPARAGING ABOUT L. RON HUBBARD (“LRH”), THE CHURCH, CSI, RTC OR ANY OTHER CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OR THEIR STAFF, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR TRUSTEES, IN WHATEVER CAPACITY, OR ABOUT THE RELIGIOUS PRACTICES, MATERIALS, TECHNOLOGY AND SERVICES OF THE SCIENTOLOGY RELIGION. I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THIS NON-DISPARAGEMENT COVENANT APPLIES NOT JUST WHILE I AM SERVING ON THE CHURCH’S STAFF BUT ALSO IN PERPETUITY, SHOULD I EVER LEAVE STAFF.
4. The term DISPARAGE means:
A. Comments and statements (oral or written) that could or do negatively affect or cast the Church, LRH, CSI, RTC or any Church of Scientology, their staff, officers, directors, or trustees or the religious practices, materials, technology and services of the Scientology religion (“Staff and Religious Practices”) in a negative light.
B. Comments and statements (oral or written) that could or do harm the reputation of the Church, LRH or any Church of Scientology, CSI, RTC and Scientology Staff and Religious Practices including, but not limited to, negative or derogatory comments and statements about financial status, operations, and the character of any Church of Scientology or its senior staff ecclesiastical leadership.
C. Comments and statements (oral or written) that could or do harm the Church, CSI and/or RTC’s relationship with any Scientology parishioner(s) including, but not limited to, comments that could or do harm any Scientology parishioner’s confidence in or hinder their spiritual growth in the Scientology religion or progress up The Bridge.
5. I understand the gravity of the action I am taking in signing this Non-Disparagement Covenant, I know that I am accepting responsibility for some of the most sacred and important obligations that exist in my religion. I further understand that the spiritual well-being of my fellow Scientologists depends on my ability to keep the promises I make herein. I also know that I am giving up forever some very important personal rights under the United States Constitution. But I also understand that I would not be permitted to serve as a member of the Church staff unless I agreed in advance to the terms of this Non-Disparagement Covenant. I take this action because I believe my personal spiritual commitment to Scientology and the betterment of humankind take precedence over any rights of free speech I may have as to these specific matters.
6. I understand and agree that the promises I have made in this Non-Disparagement Covenant relate to special, unique and extraordinary matters and that a violation of any of my promises will cause irreparable injury not just to the Church but also to the Scientology religion as a whole and that there are no legal remedies available that could correct this injury. I further understand and agree that such harm is likely to be very substantial and that it will vary with the nature of the disparaging comment or statement, making it extremely difficult and impractical, if not impossible, to measure the full extent of the actual damages caused by a violation of this Non-Disparagement Covenant. For these reasons I therefore agree that if I breach or threaten to breach any of my promises in this Non-Disparagement Covenant that, among other things:
A. The Church may seek a court order to stop me from breaching or threatening to breach my promises. Because a public hearing to enforce any provision of this Non-Disparagement Covenant might cause disclosure of information deemed confidential information, I agree that if there is litigation concerning this Non-Disparagement Covenant, I shall cooperate with the Church to seek an appropriate order from the county court, or any other court of competent jurisdiction, to seal the file and issue a protective order prohibiting disclosure of confidential information and/or limiting the disclosure of any other information obtained through discovery, to the maximum extent allowed under law.
B. In addition to anything else a court may require me to do for violating this Non-Disparagement Covenant, that I shall pay the Church $25,000 as liquidated damages (and not as a penalty) for each individual violation of this Non-Disparagement Covenant and/or for each individual instance of causing, participating in, cooperating with or encouraging the publication or broadcast of information that results in a violation of this Non-Disparagement Covenant. I understand that it is difficult to ascertain the exact extent of damage and harm a violation would cause the Church, but I acknowledge that $25,000 is fair and reasonable.
7. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary set forth herein, I understand and agree that the provisions of this Non-Disparagement Covenant shall not apply to the disclosure of information as compelled by law or pursuant to subpoena or order of any judicial, legislative, executive, regulatory or administrative body, provided such law, subpoena or order is valid and constitutional.
8. The promises and agreements I have made in this Non-Disparagement Covenant shall be interpreted and enforced in accordance with the laws of the state without reference to the laws of any other state or country. I agree that if legal action is necessary to enforce the promises I have made, that it may be brought in the court of the county in which the Church is located or any other court of competent jurisdiction, and I agree in advance to be subject to the personal jurisdiction of that court. This Non-Disparagement Covenant shall inure to the benefit of, and be binding upon the persons or organizations that received or are assigned the rights and duties of this Non-Disparagement Covenant (i.e. successors and assigns).
9. I understand that all the promises and other obligations I have made in this Non-Disparagement Covenant will be legally binding on me forever. However, if a court happens to rule that one or more of the promises I have made or obligations I have agreed to are not enforceable, then I agree that the rest of the promises and obligations I made shall remain in full force and effect and legally enforceable against me for all time.
10. I HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASK AND RESOLVE ALL QUESTIONS I HAVE HAD ABOUT THIS NON-DISPARAGEMENT COVENANT. I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS NON-DISPARAGEMENT COVENANT CONSTITUTES THE ENTIRE UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN THE CHURCH AND ME CONCERNING THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS NON-DISPARAGEMENT COVENANT. NO MODIFICATION OR TERMINATION OF THIS NON-DISPARAGEMENT COVENANT SHALL BE VALID UNLESS IN WRITING SIGNED MY BOTH THE CHURCH AND ME. I REPRESENT THAT I NOW HAVE NO QUESTIONS OR RESERVATIONS CONCERNING THIS NON-DISPARAGEMENT COVENANT WHATSOEVER. BY SIGNING THIS NON-DISPARAGEMENT COVENANT I CAN UNEQUIVOCALLY STATE THAT I FULLY UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANVE TO MY RELIGION OF THE OBLIGATIONS TO WHICH I AM AGREEING AND THAT I HAVE SIGNED THIS NON-DISPARAGEMENT COVENANT WILLINGLY AND WITHOUT ANY PRESSURE OF ANY KIND.
Executed this ___ day of _______, 20__.
(Printed Full Name)
(SIGNATURE OF WITNESS)
(Printed Full Name)
CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF __________
By its: ______________________________
Fascinating stuff. We look forward to your thoughts on this.
And now, let’s get on to the rest of our Sunday Funnies. First up, a reminder that Los Angeles will see some big re-openings this week. On Friday, the Scientology Test Center is being redubbed the Scientology Life Improvement Center, and its opening ceremony will happen at 6:30 pm.
Then, on Saturday, the American Saint Hill Organization (ASHO) and Advanced Organization of Los Angeles (AOLA) will get celebrations at Scientology’s main headquarters on Fountain Avenue. We’ve seen times of 11 am and 1 pm for this, and we’ll let you know if we hear anything else more definite…
Speaking of staff, how’s that new contract working for you, Jean?
Sacramento wants to make sure you don’t live another mediocre life!
Norman and Sue want to go Ideal, and they’ve been around a long time!
Yeah, something tells us a lot of Scientologists would like to go back to 1955.
Garry wants to share his superhuman powers with you.
Joshua gets so much satisfaction out of a dictionary.
Sydney has it seriously going on.
We try never to miss a newsletter from Scotland.
Sydney, you win this week. You win.
Thanks again to our great tipsters. Keep those wacky mailers and fliers coming in!
Mark Fisher talks about being spied on by Scientology for years
Karen de la Carriere has another fascinating video, part two in her series on Mark Fisher…
Posted by Tony Ortega on February 23, 2014 at 07:00
E-mail your tips and story ideas to email@example.com or follow us on Twitter. We post behind-the-scenes updates at our Facebook author page. Here at the Bunker we try to have a post up every morning at 7 AM Eastern (Noon GMT), and on some days we post an afternoon story at around 2 PM. After every new story we send out an alert to our e-mail list and our FB page.
Learn about Scientology with our numerous series with experts…
UP THE BRIDGE (Claire Headley and Bruce Hines train us as Scientologists) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41
SCIENTOLOGY MYTHBUSTING (Historian Jon Atack discusses key Scientology concepts) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42