Daily Notifications
Sign up for free emails to receive the feature story every morning in your inbox at


DOX: L. Ron Hubbard’s son called him a junkie and sex pervert in FBI’s Scientology files

[Ron DeWolf and his dad, L. Ron Hubbard]

We have yet another FBI document release for you today, the result of a lawsuit by journalist Emma Best that has pried loose several interesting files from the law enforcement agency in recent weeks. Previously, we published a file about the FBI’s 2009 human trafficking investigation of the Church of Scientology’s “Sea Org,” a 2008 investigation of the Anonymous movement, and a 1996 probe of a bogus bomb threat.

Today, we have an FBI file on L. Ron Hubbard Jr., also known as “Nibs,” and as “Ron DeWolf.” And the best thing in it is the unsparing look that Nibs provides of his famous father, L. Ron Hubbard Sr.

Nibs was L. Ron Hubbard’s first child, born in 1934, and from about 1952 to 1959 he was a key member of his father’s staff, helping to develop Scientology in its early days. But Nibs became disillusioned and left the group and eventually became something of a whistleblower, talking to the FDA in 1967 and 1970, for example. In our book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, we described how Nibs even worked with Paulette Cooper in the summer of 1972 on a remarkable 63-page document they titled “A Look Into Scientology,” which itself was a highly critical history by Nibs of his dad. But Nibs was also a waffler — just a few months after working with Cooper, he switched sides and provided testimony for his father in an IRS matter. He continued to vacillate for years, supporting his father and Scientology at times, and at other times becoming a whistleblower again.

To further set up the documents you’re going to see today, we need to set the scene in 1982. At that time, Nibs was again critical of his father and Scientology, and he was talking to Michael Flynn, a Boston attorney who had emerged as the most ambitious and successful litigator against the church in years. (Flynn was handling Paulette Cooper as a client at the time, for example.) In May 1982, Flynn, Nibs, and Cooper were all in Clearwater, Florida for a famous set of hearings held by the city council there about Scientology in the wake of the prosecution and conviction of 11 top church officials, including Mary Sue Hubbard, L. Ron Hubbard’s third wife.

After those hearings, Flynn received an interesting phone call. Here’s what happened next, as described in our book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely


On June 14, a few weeks after the hearings and while Michael Flynn was still in Clearwater staying at the Holiday Inn Surfside, he got a call from Boston. The man on the phone, Joseph Snyder, reminded Flynn that they had met several months earlier when Flynn gave a talk about Scientology’s history of spying to the American Society for Industrial Security.

Snyder, like the other people who heard Flynn’s speech, protected companies from corporate espionage, and was interested to hear about Scientology’s long record of snooping and burglary. Snyder asked if they could get together when Flynn returned to Boston. Snyder didn’t want to say much over the phone, but he indicated that a client had hired him to find L. Ron Hubbard.

When Flynn flew back to Boston, Snyder picked him up at Logan Airport and explained that he was working a strange case for his client, the Bank of New England. About a week earlier, two men had come into a branch of the Middle East Bank in New York City, and had tried to cash a check for $2 million. The check, made out to “Aquil Abdulamiar,” was signed by L. Ron Hubbard and was drawn on his account at the Bank of New England. After the two men failed to turn over any identification proving one of them was Abdulamiar, they departed, leaving the check behind. It turned out to be a forgery.

The bogus check was a clever copy of a real check for more than a million dollars that Hubbard had written earlier in the year from his Bank of New England account to a tax shelter in California. Someone had apparently obtained that cancelled check and used it to create the fake one. But who? And what did Hubbard know? Hubbard’s bank wanted to find him to ask him about it, but Snyder didn’t know where to look.

Flynn didn’t know what the check scheme was about, but he did help Snyder with what he knew about Hubbard — that no one seemed to have seen him since early 1980, and that Hubbard’s own wife, Mary Sue, hadn’t seen him since late 1979. After talking to Snyder, Flynn wondered, was the bogus check a sign that Hubbard had died, and that someone in Scientology was trying to cash in on his identity before news of his death got to the outside world?

Hubbard’s son, Ron DeWolf, agreed with Flynn that there were other strong signs that his father had died. Inspired in part by the check-kiting caper, in November, with Flynn’s help, DeWolf filed a petition to the Riverside County Probate Court, asking it to determine if Hubbard was alive and to rule on the status of his estate.

So what we have for you today are two lengthy court declarations filed by Ron DeWolf (as Nibs was calling himself then), and in them what he’s trying to do is convince a probate court that his father, L. Ron Hubbard, is either dead or incapacitated. And one of the reasons that DeWolf thought his father was dead was the fake-check attempt, which he figured was concocted to steal from his dad as long as the outside world didn’t know of his demise.

The FBI itself, meanwhile, was also interested in the bogus check, and you’ll see in the file that the agency expended considerable energy trying to uncover who was behind it. We want to show you one more passage from our book to explain what ultimately happened with the check affair, and then we’ll let you loose on Nibs and his court declarations. Again, from Miss Lovely

…on July 24, 1984 a press conference in Los Angeles was held by the Church of Scientology in order to make a rather astounding claim. In charge of the conference were the president of the church — a man named Heber Jentzsch — a church attorney named John Peterson, the church’s spokesman, Robert Vaughn Young, and a private investigator named Eugene Ingram.

Ingram had been hired the year before to gather evidence about the forged L. Ron Hubbard $2 million check made out to “Aquil Abdulamiar” that two men had tried to cash at a bank in New York in 1982.

In January, Ingram had taken out ads in the New York Times, Washington Post, and the Boston Globe offering a reward of $100,000 for information that would lead to the conviction of the people who had tried to pass the bogus check. And now, the church was ready to reveal the results of its investigation. The culprit, they announced, was Paulette Cooper’s attorney, Mike Flynn.

Their evidence for this was a legal declaration signed by a forger serving time in a prison in Naples, Italy. Ingram, the church’s private eye, had gone to Naples to get the declaration from the man, Ala Fadili Al Tamimi, who claimed he had created the bogus check and had gone to the bank with his brother, pretending to be Aquil Abdulamiar.

But the scheme, he claimed, had been masterminded by Flynn. Al Tamimi said that Flynn used connections he had at the Bank of New England to get a legitimate check out of the bank for Al Tamimi to create a counterfeit version of it. And now, the church had the lawyer dead to rights. It called for the arrest and conviction of Flynn.


But that didn’t happen.

Eventually, Al Tamimi would recant his story. Ingram, meanwhile, turned out to be a disgraced Los Angeles cop who had been fired for, among other things, being accused of running a
prostitution ring on the side.

A few days after the press conference, a judge in Los Angeles, Paul Breckenridge, called the allegations against Flynn “garbage” as he dressed down Peterson, the church attorney, for even being involved in such a transparently bogus attempt to smear Flynn. It was desperate behavior, even by the standards of the Church of Scientology.

By then, also, L. Ron Hubbard had proved to the probate court in Riverside that he was, in fact, still alive. (He didn’t appear in court, but sent a fingerprint, which the court accepted, and DeWolf’s suit was dismissed.) But in 1982, when DeWolf first filed his lawsuit, he was convinced that his father was dead, and that his fortune was being siphoned away before his heirs, including DeWolf, could get their hands on it. So with all of that as background, here are the two DeWolf filings from his probate lawsuit, which were in the FBI file, and that we don’t think have been online before.

Declaration of Ronald DeWolf
F/K/A L. Ron Hubbard, Jr.

I, Ronald DeWolf, formerly known as L. Ron Hubbard, Jr. hereby state under the pains and penalties of perjury that I have personal knowledge, and/or information and belief where so stated, as to the following facts:

1. I am the oldest child of L. Ron Hubbard, having been born on May 7, 1934 at Encinitas, California. My mother, Margaret Louise Grubb, married my father on April 13, 1933 at Elkton, Maryland.

2. Throughout most of his life my father has suffered from recurrent cycles of severe mental and emotional illness, characterized by several hospitalizations, suicidal inclinations and ideation, excessive drug usage, advanced venereal disease, criminal and fraudulent schemes, and habituation to bizarre, occult practices including blood rituals, abortion rituals, and embryo “implants”.

3. Between the years 1944 and 1959, I have personal knowledge that my father regularly used illegal drugs including amphetamines, barbiturates and hallucinogens. He regularly used cocaine, peyote, and mescaline. My father took large doses of sulfur drugs to treat his venereal disease. All of the foregoing drugs created substantial drug dependence and continued deterioration of his physical, mental and emotional faculties.

4. Between the years 1949 and 1959, I worked with my father in organizing, developing and promoting various organizations which eventually became collectively known as the Church of Scientology. The origin of most of my father’s ideas and tenets which have become the operating doctrines of the Church of Scientology, have their basis in black magic and satanic theories derived from a cult called the “OTO” developed by one, Aleister Crowley. Many of my father’s writings were prepared when he was saturated with cocaine and other drugs, including hallucinogens, and his theories are plagiarized from Crowley and a germanic cult called the “Germanen Oden”, which eventually became enveloped in the “SS” of Nazi Germany.

5. Between the years 1949 and 1959, my father became further and further removed from reality, suffering from severe occurrences of paranoia and delusion, continued physical deterioration from chronic diseases including arthritis, duodenal ulcers, chronic pneumonia, and skeletal weakness.

6. Between the years 1959 and March, 1980, based upon information and belief documented by medical treatment and records, my father suffered from susceptibility to bone fractures caused by skeletal deterioration, advanced anemia, chronic pneumonia, duodenal ulcers, arthritis and pulmonary emboli. On one occasion, in 1974, he fractured his wrist while swatting a fly. In 1978 – 1979, my father suffered from a pulmonary embolism in La Quinta, California and almost died. At that time, upon information and belief, he was in the care and custody of several Church of Scientology officials including Kima Douglas, who was told by my father to “bury him in the datefields” in the area and not to disclose his death to anyone. Shortly thereafter, my father disappeared.


7. In the last 30 years before his disappearance my father’s continued physical, mental and emotional deterioration and sickness is characterized by several significant events which also reveal in part his increasing inability to perceive reality. These events are documented in part by the Exhibits attached to this affidavit. They are as follows:

a) In 1941, just prior to America’s involvement in W.W.II, my father, then a science fiction writer for pulp magazines, applied for a commission in the U.S. Naval Reserve. My father’s application primarily relied upon his father’s naval background, my grandfather then being a Lt. Commander in the Navy. Although my father had flunked out of or left three high schools, and had flunked of or left George Washington University after three semesters, my grandfather’s influence helped him get his commission in the Naval Reserve. My father was then 30 years old, having been born on March 13, 1911, in Tilden, Nebraska. My father’s naval career was a disaster. On December 18, 1941, right after Pearl Harbor, he was activated and was sent to Australia where he remained for only approximately 40 days. He was ordered back to the U.S. on February 19, 1942, “unsatisfactory for any available assignment”. He was then ordered to the Boston Naval shipyard where he was relieved of duty on September 25, 1942, after about four months, as not “temperamentally fit for independent assignment”. My father was then transferred throughout the U.S. for the next 3 years, bouncing from assignment to assignment after being repeatedly returned for “instruction”. On one occasion, in 1943 a “Board of Inquiry” was convened against him. He was given a letter of “admonition…in lieu of other more drastic disciplinary action which would have been taken under normal and peacetime conditions.” Later, on September 27, 1944, my father “discovered” a gasoline bomb on board the U.S.S. Algol several days before it sailed into combat and he was immediately relieved of duty. Shortly thereafter, he was admitted to the Oak Knoll Military Hospital for a period of approximately 3 months suffering from venereal disease, duodenal ulcers and under psychiatric care. My father’s mental illness and incompetency specifically in connections with his naval career is reflected not only by his naval record itself, but by the fact that form 1949 to his disappearance in March of 1980, my father claimed that he served “four years in combat,” was “one of the most highly decorated officers in W.W.II”, “was personally flown about in the plane of the Secretary of the Navy”, “was crippled and blinded” from war wounds and healed himself through a process called “Dianetics” which he claims to have discovered. Of course, all of these claims are false.

b) At the end of W.W.II, my father became involved with bizarre, occult practices in the OTO (Order of Templars Orientalis) with one Jack Parsons, who was a close associate of Crowley. On January 14, 1946, Hubbard, Parsons and a young girl, whom I believe to be Parson’s girl friend, Sarah Northrup, attempted to create a “moonchild” after 11 days of rituals whereby an unborn human embryo was “implanted'” with “satanic powers”. Later, Parsons claimed that my father stole approximately $20,000 of Parson’s money, purchased a yacht, and took off with Sarah. Although my father was still married to my mother at the time, on August 10, 1946 he entered into a bigamous marriage with Sarah in Chestertown, Maryland. This marriage lasted until 1951, when Sarah sued my father for divorce on the grounds of “systematically torturing” her with “physical beatings”, “sleep deprivation”, “strangulation” and “scientific torture experiments”. Sarah also attempted to have my father hospitalized on the grounds that he was suffering from “paranoid schizophrenia” as reflected by not only the foregoing but also by my father’s attempts to kill Sarah, his hatred and fear of women, his drug addiction, his venereal disease, and his subsequent kidnapping of [redacted] in [redacted]. My father fled to Havana, Cuba between March and May, 1951 with [redacted] where he was hospitalized under psychiatric care. In order to get [redacted] back, Sarah signed a partial recantation of her allegations against my father, and on June 12, 1951 a divorce dedree was entered and [redacted] was returned to her. Subsequently, in 1975, [redacted] attempted to locate our father, and Church officials including his third wife, Mary Sue Hubbard devised an elaborate plan to conceal my father’s [redacted] and deceive her as to the foregoing facts. There are hundreds of documents now on file in the Los Angeles Superior Court on the case of Church of Scientology v. Armstrong. No. C 420 153, many of whic are in my father’s handwriting which confirms the foregoing facts.

c) On October 15, 1947, my father was suffering from severe suicidal ideation and requested psychiatric treatment from the Veterans Administration for a “mind” which was “seriously affected” and for “suicidal inclinations”. In connection with his psychiatric problems and duodenal ulcers, my father sought and received a disability from the V.A. which disability payments were continuing to be paid until at least March, 1980. Although my father has continually suffered from all of the diseases and problems recited in this Declaration, for a period of approximately 30 years, he has publicly stated to Church members that he is in “perfect health” as a result of “Dianetic and Scientology processing”. Thousands of people have paid millions of dollars to my father on the belief that he was “twice pronounced dead” from war wounds, and miraculously cured himself through Scientology, having achieved a state of “perfect, physical, mental and emotional health” for the past 30 years. In fact, this is a total falsity, but my father suffers from severe paranoid schizophrenia with delusions, and Church officials continue to perpetuate these falsehoods.

d) Between 1952 and 1959, my father attempted to “sell” his theories of Scientology processing which he claimed were the most advanced “brain-washing technologies” in the world, to several governments. My father first attempted to sell his “technology” to the F.B.I. When that failed he turned to MI-5 in England and then to Russia. My father wrote several letters to the F.B.I. in connection with this matter and he personally met with several officials from British intelligence, one named [redacted] who were, according to my father, acting as spies for the Russian K.G.B. at the time. Throughout the 1950’s my father was a heavy user of cocaine and mescaline. In fact, in 1957 when my father wrote “All About Radiation” by a “Nuclear Physicist” and a “Medical Doctor”, he was saturated with cocaine and severely deluded. Although he was neither a medical doctor or a nuclear physicist, and had flunked the only physics course he ever took, he was hallucinating so much at the time that he professed to have the above qualifications which, in turn, supported his claim that Scientology and Dianetic processing would cure radiation burns from nuclear fall-out. At the time, the “cold-war” was in full swing and people were building bomb shelters out of fear of the Soviet attack. My father attempted to use this fear to his advantage.

e) Throughout the 1950’s my father engaged in excessive drug usage, various sexual perversions, occult practices, and numerous criminal activities for which he was sought by District Attorneys, the F.B.I., the I.R.S., and later by the F.D.A. For example, my father claimed that his theories relating to Scientology were based on 30 years of case histories and research. In fact, his books were written from his imagination, off the top of his head, while under the influence of drugs.

f) In the 1960’s and 1970’s, when my father and his followers were being investigated throughout the world for fraud and practicing medicine without a license, of which he was convicted of fraud in France, my father implemented an elaborate plan which he had previously discussed with me in the mid 1950’s “to take over the world”. My father organized the “Sea Organization” which is analagous to the “Nazi SS” and the “Guardians Office” or the G.O., which is analagous to the “Gestapo”. The purpose of these Scientology organizations was to “penetrate” every major governmental agency throughout the world to obtain sufficient “intelligence data” to effect a take-over. In fact, the 11 highest officials of Scientology including Mary Sue Hubbard, his third wife, were convicted of a variety of crimes, in 1979 and 1981, and most of them are now in jail in connection with said bizarre plot. My father’s mental and emotional condition in the 1960s’s and 1970’s was so deranged that he believed that he was the “Beast 666” referred to in the Apocalypse in the Bible as the Anti-Christ, and that he had the “power” to control all of man-kind.

g) Upon information and belief, between the period from the summer of 1978 to the summer of 1979, my father was residing in the area of La Quinta, and then Hemet, California. At that time, he was occasionally very physically ill and severely mentally ill as characterized by his actions which included elaborate and paranoid plans to conceal his location, bursts of uncontrolled rage with attendant screaming, requiring that his surroundings be kept in “white glove” sterility, that his food be tasted, that his clothes be rinsed in “13 buckets of water”, and that all of his “enemies” be searched out and “destroyed”. In fact, my father in 1967 wrote a police called the “Fair Game Doctrine” which calls for the destruction of all his enemies. That policy states:

“ENEMY – SP Order. Fair game. May be deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed.”

h) Between 1969 and 1971, my father employed this policy against me and others through many harassive “operations”, including threats on my life and family. The “operations” and threats forced me to sign a document wherein I stated that Scientology really was a religion, was not used to cure disease, and that I was “vengeful” toward Scientology. I signed this document under duress and coercion, specifically in fear for the safety of my family. Throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s my father employed hundreds of agents to conduct thousands of “operations” including “Operation Snow White,” “Operation Keeler”, “Operation Freakout” and many others to frame, smear and attack his opponents. Some of these “operations” including the “training manuals” to perpetrate them are attached hereto as Appendix II to this affidavit. There are approximately 80 thousand documents revealing this incredible scheme, which were seized by the F.B.I., in July, 1977, now on file in the Federal Court in Washington, D.C. As a result of the foregoing operations against me, I changed my name in 1972 to DeWolf.

8. My father’s extreme paranoid condition is reflected in the “policies” and “operations” that he implemented between 1975 and 1978 to conceal his location, avoid arrest and/or service of subpoenas and process and to conceal his physical and mental deterioration and illnesses from the public. One of those “operations” was called “Program L.R.H. Security, Code Name: Power” to “maintain an alerting Early Warning System” throughout the G.O…. to take defensive actions to suddenly raise the level of L.R.H. (Hubbard) security very high”. Another “operation” was called “Operation Bulldozer Leak” to “effectively spread the rumor that will lead government, media and individual SPs to conclude that L.R.H. has no control of the C of S (Church of Scientology) and no legal liability for Church activity”. See Appendix II to this Declaration.

9. Upon information and belief, between the beginning of 1980 and continuing to the present time there have been several high level “purges” or “defections” of officials of the Church of Scientology over whom my father had absolute control for more than 20 years. These purges and defections began to take place shortly after my father disappeared and they have created significant internal turmoil within the Scientology organization, all of which suggests that my father is either deceased or incompetent. Some of these individuals include Mary Sue Hubbard, [redacted] Kima Douglas, [redacted] Herbert Parkhouse, Bill Robertson, [redacted] David Gaiman, [redacted] and others. The foregoing individuals constituted the ruling hierarchy of the Church of Scientology under the total control of my father. All Scientology organizations are now operated by a 22 year old individual named David Miscavige, who, upon information and belief, together with one [redacted] has control over my father’s accounts. There are approximately ten individuals who have signed my father’s name on these accounts. These individuals include [redacted] The death or incompetency of my father would enable the foregoing and several others with access to his account to dissipate, steal or alienate his assets. The following activities suggest that such dissipation is occurring. Upon information and belief, I aver the following:

a) Between March and May, 1982, my father’s copyrights in all of his publications and his patent rights to the E-Meter were assigned to the Church of Scientology. My father was maniacal about holding these in his name and would never assign them to the Church unless he was dead or incompetent, and the assignment has been forged.

b) In June, 1982 an arabic individual allegedly named [redacted] presented a two million dollar check drawn on my father’s E.F. Hutton account, for deposit to the Mid East Bank in N.Y. city. My father’s signature was forged on said check by a presently unknown person. The person who originally opened the E.F. Hutton account in 1975 was [redacted] who signed my father’s name at that time. The check and account were frozen by the bank for a period of time until [redacted] and others obtained control of the check. I am unaware of the present disposition of the funds in said account, although I am informed that there were large withdrawals from said account for several months prior to June, 1982.

c) In June, 1982, [redacted] attempted to sell approximately $1,000,000 in precious stones and coins belonging to my father on the wholesale market in Los Angeles.

d) Several of my father’s brokerage accounts having a value between 10 and 20 million dollars in Los Angeles are under the total control of [redacted] who is working with David Miscavige to take over control of the Church of Scientology.

e) Neither Mary Sue Hubbard or any of the children have had any contact of any nature or description from my father since March, 1980.

10. One of my father’s closest and most confidential aides, [redacted] defected from the Church of Scientology in December, 1981. [Redacted] was in control of all of my father’s most personal documents, which documents reveal in part, my father’s fraudulent and criminal activities and his mental, physical and emotional illness. My father personally assigned [redacted] to possession of said documents. [Redacted] has now been sued by the Church of Scientology to obtain the documents, and [redacted] is in fear of his life. My father would not allow such documents to be released unless he is dead or incompetent. [Redacted] is properly in possession of said documents and could only return them to my father but my father has failed to appear and claim them. The documents have, in themselves, and inestimable value.

11. Based upon the foregoing facts set forth in this Declaration, and upon information and belief, I believe that my father is dead and request that a Trustee or Receiver be appointed to collect his assets and hold them for his lawful heirs at law.

Executed this 6th day of November, 1982, at Carson City, Nevada, under the pains and penalties of perjury pursuant to the laws of the State of California.

Ronald DeWolf


1. Petitioner resides at 1401 East Long Street, Carson City, Nevada 89701. Petitioner is the oldest son of L. Ron Hubbard, having been born on May 7, 1934 in Encinitas, California to L. Ron Hubbard and Margaret Louis Grubb Hubbard. Petitioner changed his name from L. Ron Hubbard, Jr., to Ronald DeWolf in 1972. The allegations set forth in this Petition are supported in detail in the attached “Declaration” of Ronald DeWolf, herewith made a part hereof.

2. The absentee, L. Ron Hubbard, has been absent and unheard from since March 1980 from his last and usual place of abode in Hemet, California. The absentee’s present wife, former wives, children, relatives, friends and acquaintances, attorneys and accountants, have not spoken with, met or heard from the absentee since March 1980.

3. The absentee, if not deceased, is presently 71 years of age having been born on March 13, 1911 in Tilden, Nebraska. The absentee is the infamous, internationally known founder of, and absolute controller of the Church of Scientology and its various corporate entities including the Church of Scientology of California, (California), a corporation having a principal place of business in Los Angeles, California. Until March 1980, the absentee controlled all Scientology organizations with total and complete dictatorial power through the use of unlawful, illegal and oftentimes criminal means as hereinafter more fully set forth.

4. The following is a list of the absentees’ living children:

1) Petitioner, Ronald DeWolf, son of L. Ron Hubbard and Margaret Louise Grubb.
2. Catherine M. Hubbard, daughter of L. Ron Hubbard and Margaret Louise Grubb, born January 16, 1936 at New York City.
3. [Redacted (Alexis Hollister)] of L. Ron Hubbard and Sarah Northrup Hubbard, born [redacted (March 8, 1950)]
4. [Redacted (Diana Hubbard)] of Mary Sue Hubbard and L. Ron Hubbard, born [redacted (1952)].
5. [Redacted (Quentin Hubbard)] of L. Ron Hubbard and Mary Sue Hubbard, born in early summer, [redacted (1954, died 1976)].
6. [Redacted (Suzette Hubbard)] of L. Ron Hubbard and Mary Sue Hubbard, born in [redacted (1955. And apparently leaves out: Arthur Hubbard, born 1958.)]

5. The absentee has lived a life characterized by severe mental illness and physical disease, consistent failure, and the use of false and fraudulent, oftentimes criminal means, to cover up these failures and to acquire wealth, fame and power in order to destroy his perceived “enemies”. The absentee’s life consists in part of the following: (1) He left or flunked out of three high schools; (2) He misrepresented his age to the United States Marines where he was subsequently asked to leave for unknown reasons; (3) flunked out of George Washington University, after three semesters; (4) He commenced a career as a science fiction writer for pulp magazines; (5) He attempted to acquire fame by making false claims concerning participation in scientific and explorational expeditions which he sent to ‘Who’s Who in America’ at various times; (6) He became involved in occult practices as an adherent to the cult of Aleister Crowley called the “OTO”; (7) He generally engaged in perverse, abusive and bizarre practices such as “abortion rituals with his first wife, Margaret Louise Grubb; (8) During World War II while serving in the Navy, the absentee was relieved of duty on numerous occasions, reprimanded, declared unfit for duty, apparently concealed a gasoline bomb on board the U.S.S. Algol in order to avoid combat, and in September 1945 became an in-patient for psychiatric and physical disorders including duodenal ulcers at the Oak Knoll Military Hospital for a period of more than three months.

6. At the conclusion of World War II and after his discharge from the Oak Knoll Military Hospital, the absentee’s physical and mental health continued to deteriorate. This deterioration was reflected by the absentee’s continued requirement for psychiatric treatment, suicidal tendencies and ideation, drug addiction, venereal disease and impotency, wife beating, bizarre “black magic” occult practice, forgery, writing bad checks, and miscellaneous fraudulent activities including bigamy. In 1947, the absentee defrauded John W. Parsons of approximately $20,000.00 in cash, became involved in a bigamous marriage with Parson’s girlfriend, Sarah Northrup, on August 10, 1946 at Chestertown, Maryland, while he was still married to Margaret Louise Grubb. The absentee did not secure a divorce from Margaret until December 24, 1947 at Port Orchard, Washington.

7. Between 1947 and 1970, the absentee published numerous books, periodicals, and news bulletins, copyrighted in his name and published by the Church of Scientology, which publications grossly misrepresented his background, including false claims that he was a graduate of George Washington University, a medical doctor, a nuclear physicist, a graduate of Princeton University, a war hero, having served four years of combat in the United States Navy who was crippled and blinded as a result of his war service, and who had done approximately 20 years of extensive research into “case studies” that were discussed in his various publications. In fact, between 1946 until his disappearance in March 1980, the absentee suffered from paranoid schizophrenia, was sought after by numerous state and federal agencies, has been the target of numerous lawsuits throughout the world, and has used the Church of Scientology to perpetrate continued fraudulent and oftentimes criminal schemes, including grossly inaccurate misrepresentations concerning his physical and mental health.

8. At various times, between 1946 and March 1980, the absentee demonstrated numerous indications for severe mental illness and legal incompetency including the creation of extravagant plans and operations to burglarize, infiltrate, “penetrate”, and “take over” the United States Government through such maniacal schemes as “Operation Snow White” and numerous other such “operations”. These were designed to acquire “intelligence information” to take control of state and federal agencies. These “operations” are reflected in part by approximately 30,000 documents which are in the possession of the petitioner and his counsel covering a period of approximately 30 years wherein the absentee and his third wife, Mary Sue Hubbard, using the Church of Scientology as an agent, conspired to attack and destroy all of his perceived “enemies” including hundreds of journalists, former Church members, judges, lawyers and prosecutors. Mary Sue Hubbard and eight of the absentee’s highest agents were convicted on or about November 1979 for a variety of crimes pertaining to this scheme, including obstruction of justice, perjury, kidnapping, burglary of the United States Attorney General and the Internal Revenue Service, and conspiracy to commit some of the foregoing crimes. Two additional high level agents were convicted in 1981 of similar crimes. The overall criminal conduct of the absentee reveals a condition of severe paranoia and incompetency.

9. Between approximately 1950 and his disappearance in May 1980, the absentee routinely engaged in elaborate “intelligence operations” to conceal the location of his assets and the assets of the Church of Scientology, over which he had total control, routinely utilized false signatures and false records to conceal said assets and to control the Church of Scientology, including the forgery of corporate records, the requirement that all members of all boards of directors of all Church of Scientology corporations sign undated resignations in advance, the use of approximately 10 individuals who regularly forged his signature between the years 1965 and up to his disappearance in March 1980, and the use of elaborate “operations” to conceal his location. Numerous assets were placed in the names of straws, some of whom were attorneys, millions of dollars in cash was couriered throughout the world, all as a result of the absentee’s paranoid fears that there was an “international conspiracy” against him, led by approximately 12 international branches including the Rothschild and Rockefeller families and officials in the Bank of England.

10. Between approximately 1970 and March 1980, the absentee’s health began to severely deteriorate. During that period of time, the absentee suffered from three pulmonary embolisms, severe and chronic arthritis, duodenal ulcers, chronic viral pneumonia, numerous broken bones from minor physical contact such as fracturing his write on one occasion when he attempted to swat a fly, and persistent suicidal inclinations. Although the absentee has falsely represented his health condition to the public and to members of the Church of Scientology as being “perfect” in order to convince the public that Scientology and “Dianetics’ are guaranteed to achieve perfect health, in fact the absentee has been seriously mentally and emotionally ill since at least 1945. In October 1978, the absentee suffered from a severe pulmonary embolism at Hemet, California for which he was treated with electroshock and various medications, including Coumadin. On or about October 1978, the absentee almost died as a result of his severely debilitated physical and mental health, and he instructed his “personal medical officer”, one Kima Douglas, the person who cared for all of his physical and mental ministrations, to “bury him in the date fields” surrounding Hemet, California and “not tell anyone.”

11. Between March 1980 and the present date, there has been no communication of any nature or description to any Church of Scientology official, relative, friend, acquaintance, attorney or accountant, including his children and his wife, Mary Sue Hubbard. The severely debilitated physical and mental health of the absentee, together with the absentee’s mental incompetency and suicide inclinations, together with the fact that numerous governmental agencies throughout the world are presently seeking his presence for pending grand juries, together with the absentees’ psychiatric history support the conclusion that the absentee is now deceased or mentally incompetent and that his affairs are now being managed by unknown persons.

12. Between approximately October 1981 and up to and including the present date, there has been a continual dissipation of assets belonging to the absentee which includes the following:

a) On or about March 1982, several officials of the Church of Scientology of California surreptitiously acquired all of the copyrights to all of the absentee’s publications covering a period of approximately 30 years. These copyrights have an inestimable value and apply to virtually every publication ever issued by the Church of Scientology over the past 30 years but which are copyrighted under the personal name of L. Ron Hubbard, the absentee. In addition, the Church of Scientology and several officials have acquired all of the rights to the “E-Meter”, which is a device developed by the absentee and used by Scientology in connection with its activities and production of income. The E-Meter rights have an inestimable value. These assets are located in California at the corporate headquarters of the Church.

b) On or about June 14, 1982, an individual approximately 20 years of age of Arabic extraction, attempted to deposit a check in the amount of $2,000,000.00 in the Mid East Bank in New York City. Said check was drawn on an E.F. Hutton brokerage account of L. Ron Hubbard, the absentee, and made payable to an individual named [redacted]. The bank upon which said check was to be collected, the New England Merchants Band, conducted an extensive investigation to obtain authorization for said check from the absentee, but was unable to. For a period of approximately 10 days, said bank contacted the highest officials of the Church of Scientology, who provided said bank with inconsistent, confusing and potentially fraudulent instructions as to the source and legitimacy of said check. During said investigation, the bank learned that Hubbard’s original signature on a signature card of said account had been forged by a Scientology official, and thereafter froze said accounts. The petitioner is presently unaware of the status of said account but has learned that millions of dollars were removed from said account just prior to the discovery of the subject $2,000,000.00 check.

c) During the same period of time in June 1982, the petitioner learned that an individual named [redacted] representing himself to be the [redacted] of L. Ron Hubbard, attempted to sell approximately $1,000,000.00 of precious stones belonging to the absentee on the wholesale market in Los Angeles, California. The petitioner believes that officials of the Church of Scientology are unlawfully in possession of the absentee’s accounts and are dissipating said assets.

d) Approximately 10 to 20 million dollars in liquid assets of the absentee is controlled and managed through several brokerage accounts in Los Angeles including an E.F. Hutton account. These accounts are being managed by individuals who have routinely forged the signature of the absentee over the past several years. These individuals live and work in the area of Los Angeles and have control of approximately one million dollars of valuable coins belonging to the absentee.

13. The present wife of the absentee, Mary Sue Hubbard married the absentee in 1952 but agreed in writing immediately prior to the marriage to divorce the absentee whenever he desired. Mary Sue Hubbard acted as the direct agent of the absentee in all of his criminal and fraudulent enterprises, was personally knowledgeable of the absentee’s severe mental illness, and she remained his agent until at least December 1978. Mary Sue Hubbard has filed an affidavit in connection with pending litigation stating under the pains and penalties of perjury that she has not seen, communicated with, or received any indirect communication from the absentee since March 1980. Said affidavit is attached hereto and made a part hereof as Exhibit 1.

14. In September 1982, approximately 30,000 documents belonging to the absentee were surrendered to the Clerk of the Los Angeles Superior Court in the case of Church of Scientology v. Armstrong, Docket No. C 420 153. These documents do not belong to the Church of Scientology. The absentee entrusted said documents into the possession of [redacted] one of the absentee’s closest and most confidential aides, as the absentee’s personal representative in connection with the preparation of a biography. Said documents have an inestimable value, and if possession of said documents is obtained by Scientology, they will be destroyed. The documents rightfully belong to the absentee, the absentee’s estate, or to [redacted] but the Church of Scientology as currently controlled by individuals adverse to the interest of the absentee, is seeking to acquire control over said documents.

15. Control over the Church of Scientology and over millions of dollars of the assets of the absentee is currently held by one David Miscavige, a 22 year old with a 9th grade education, who together with one [redacted] and others, have been forging the signature of the absentee on numerous liquid asset accounts in the name of the absentee. Over the past 8 years, approximately 10 individuals listed in the attached Declaration of the petitioner have routinely forged the signature of the absentee in connection with his personal, financial and corporate affairs.

16. A substantial likelihood exists that unless a Trustee is appointed to collect and hold the assets of the absentee and to represent the absentee and his lawful heirs, said assets will be dissipated, stolen and alienated, and the interests of the absentee in various litigation throughout the United States, including the [redacted] case, pending in this Court, will not be protected.

Also in the file is an FBI investigation of Ron DeWolf that took place in 1985. Several years earlier, in 1979, DeWolf had filed for bankruptcy after his Nevada business, “The Country Cone,” had failed, leaving him with various business debts he couldn’t pay. But someone had alerted the FBI that while Nibs was claiming in bankruptcy court that he was broke, he didn’t divulge that in 1978 he had sold some mineral rights to land in Canada that netted him a windfall of $110,000. And if that were true and DeWolf was hiding assets from the bankruptcy court, he could be sent to prison.

On January 23, 1985, the FBI interviewed DeWolf, and he explained that the mineral rights had come to the family through his mother’s second husband, a man named Ochs, who had died. After the mineral rights were sold in 1978, DeWolf’s share did amount to $110,000, but after attorney’s fees and other costs, he was left with about $52,000. That money, he pointed out, had been sunk into The Country Cone, and it was part of the reason he was in bankruptcy. As soon as DeWolf provided that explanation, the FBI dropped its investigation, the file shows.

OK, so here’s the file itself. Please dig in and let us know what you find interesting in it.


FBI file: Ron DeWolf by Tony Ortega on Scribd


Scientology disconnection, a reminder

Bernie Headley has not seen his daughter Stephanie in 4,858 days.
Carol Nyburg has not seen her daughter Nancy in 1,841 days.
Jamie Sorrentini Lugli has not seen her father Irving in 2,615 days.
Quailynn McDaniel has not seen her brother Sean in 1,961 days.
Claudio and Renata Lugli have not seen their son Flavio in 2,455 days.
Sara Goldberg has not seen her daughter Ashley in 1,495 days.
Lori Hodgson has not seen her son Jeremy and daughter Jessica in 1,207 days.
Marie Bilheimer has not seen her mother June in 733 days.
Joe Reaiche has not seen his daughter Alanna Masterson in 4,822 days
Derek Bloch has not seen his father Darren in 1,962 days.
Cindy Plahuta has not seen her daughter Kara in 2,282 days.
Claire Headley has not seen her mother Gen in 2,257 days.
Ramana Dienes-Browning has not seen her mother Jancis in 613 days.
Mike Rinder has not seen his son Benjamin and daughter Taryn in 4,915 days.
Brian Sheen has not seen his daughter Spring in 1,022 days.
Skip Young has not seen his daughters Megan and Alexis for 1,424 days.
Mary Kahn has not seen her son Sammy in 1,297 days.
Lois Reisdorf has not seen her son Craig in 878 days.
Phil and Willie Jones have not seen their son Mike and daughter Emily in 1,383 days.
Mary Jane Sterne has not seen her daughter Samantha in 1,627 days.
Kate Bornstein has not seen her daughter Jessica in 12,736 days.


3D-UnbreakablePosted by Tony Ortega on August 30, 2017 at 07:00

E-mail tips and story ideas to tonyo94 AT gmail DOT com or follow us on Twitter. We post behind-the-scenes updates at our Facebook author page. After every new story we send out an alert to our e-mail list and our FB page.

Our book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper, is on sale at Amazon in paperback, Kindle, and audiobook versions. We’ve posted photographs of Paulette and scenes from her life at a separate location. Reader Sookie put together a complete index. More information can also be found at the book’s dedicated page.

The Best of the Underground Bunker, 1995-2016 Just starting out here? We’ve picked out the most important stories we’ve covered here at the Undergound Bunker (2012-2016), The Village Voice (2008-2012), New Times Los Angeles (1999-2002) and the Phoenix New Times (1995-1999)

Learn about Scientology with our numerous series with experts…

BLOGGING DIANETICS: We read Scientology’s founding text cover to cover with the help of L.A. attorney and former church member Vance Woodward
UP THE BRIDGE: Claire Headley and Bruce Hines train us as Scientologists
GETTING OUR ETHICS IN: Jefferson Hawkins explains Scientology’s system of justice
SCIENTOLOGY MYTHBUSTING: Historian Jon Atack discusses key Scientology concepts

Other links: Shelly Miscavige, ten years gone | The Lisa McPherson story told in real time | The Cathriona White stories | The Leah Remini ‘Knowledge Reports’ | Hear audio of a Scientology excommunication | Scientology’s little day care of horrors | Whatever happened to Steve Fishman? | Felony charges for Scientology’s drug rehab scam | Why Scientology digs bomb-proof vaults in the desert | PZ Myers reads L. Ron Hubbard’s “A History of Man” | Scientology’s Master Spies | Scientology’s Private Dancer | The mystery of the richest Scientologist and his wayward sons | Scientology’s shocking mistreatment of the mentally ill | Scientology boasts about assistance from Google | The Underground Bunker’s Official Theme Song | The Underground Bunker FAQ

Our Guide to Alex Gibney’s film ‘Going Clear,’ and our pages about its principal figures…
Jason Beghe | Tom DeVocht | Sara Goldberg | Paul Haggis | Mark “Marty” Rathbun | Mike Rinder | Spanky Taylor | Hana Whitfield


Share Button
Print Friendly, PDF & Email